Monday, November 27, 2006

Designer Handbag: buy or steal?

I went to Senayan City last Saturday with my friends, Fabri and Wiko. My impression? I wouldn’t call Senayan City as a mall or a shopping center; I’d call it a designer showcase!

We circled around the showcase and took this picture on your right. The picture was taken in Debenhams dept. store. Notice the 3 madams on the left, and the 4 sales assistants on the right. I guess the madams can no longer handle their shopping bag, so they need another 4 people to carry them. It good to be rich isn’t it. My friend said the situation remind her of “Pretty Woman” movie. Gosh, I wonder what their husbands do for a living…

Then we went to Gucci, since Fab want to see the Gucci 85th anniversary bags. I must admit it was beautiful. It really is a piece of art.

From all things in fashion, I love bags the most. But would I buy those designers bag right now? Definitely No. Why? Read on

Nowadays, woman handbag is a very important piece of fashion accessory. Top designers around the globe compete to make the most beautiful / fashionable / expensive handbags. Some of the lists include: Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, Burberry, and many more. The price? It will definitely max your credit card to the limit. It ranges from hundreds of dollars to several thousand each!

One of the examples is a Birkin Bags from Hermes (picture on the right), which start at around $6000, while the most expensive version is made of crocodile with solid gold closures studded with diamonds, tops $85,000!!!!

What is it that makes the designer handbag so special? Some people rather stop eating for months to be able to purchase those bags. Is it a fashion statement? Or is it merely a status symbol? A friend of mine even say it is an investment (?!?!)

I could never understand how a bag can become an investment. If you want to invest, why don’t you just buy a diamond or gold? I think it is mostly a status symbol. A person will feel proud wearing them, even if sometimes they cannot tell the difference between the genuine and the fake ones.

For the case of young girls wearing designer bags, I personally think it just don’t suit them. I will not feel proud wearing $2000 bags knowing it comes from my parent’s account. If I work hard and receive hundreds of thousands of dollars salary, then I will purchase my very first Gucci bag. Even though I’d rather save it to go to Paris or to the Bahamas. ^_-

4 comments:

Devi Girsang, MD said...

hahaha...well some said branded bags are investments, but up-to-date i cant figure it out how.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wow... mel... are u sure those people were there to help the ladies carry the sopping bag?! waw... i noe i'm not from metro cT.... but dont you think its too much? while some people are out theRe,willing to do anything just to keep their lives on? oh well.... hahaha,,,

Anonymous said...

Wow good blog:), I'm also very interested to have designer hand bags. I want to buy new designer handbag on this Christmas. So i went through http://www.malibuvogue.com for online shopping. Now i need some more suggestions. Please help.

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com